Friday, May 19, 2006

Life is beautiful

For the last 4 years I am out of home and go back only once in a while. Whenever I go home, Achan and Amma will have separate lists of complaints against each other. There will also be a flurry of activities.

Scene #1

I am sitting in the front with the newspaper and Achan comes there to water the plants with the hose.

“See this. All these plants are dying. Your Amma is mad. She gets all these from her stupid colleagues and it is my duty to water it”

I look up, give an acknowledging node and back to paper.

“The entire front yard is full of weed. She is not even bothered”

Achan goes inside and Amma comes out with the hose.

“See what your Achan has done. He has watered only those ones that he has got. He deliberately didn’t water this one since I got it”

I check the plant. There is some water. But can’t be sure if it was spilled over or deliberately watered.

Scene #2

Both Achan and Amma are in kitchen busy cooking different dishes for me and I am in the front room watching TV.

Achan sneaks out.

“Neenu, cabbage fry got burned”
“It is OK, Acha. We will take the top portion”
“No. Leave it, I will make again. You Amma didn’t put the stove off because I am making it”

I go to the kitchen to drink water.

“Do you see this? I told your Achan that I would make the cabbage. But he insisted he would make. Now he burnt it”

I smile. She is encouraged.

“Plus see what a mess he had made in the kitchen. If he helps, he makes sure that I have double the work”

Scene #3

It is 5.35 in the evening and Achan is at the gate restlessly looking into the road.

“Do you know why your Amma gets late? Because after work she wastes time talking to her stupid colleagues. You know the ones who talk about their new sari, earring or necklace”
“Acha, calm down. Why are you getting worried? She is late by only 5 minutes”
“You can tell that. You don’t know how weak she is as she is getting older. Can’t she come back and take some rest?”

We see Amma at the end of the road. Achan goes back to make tea.

Scene #4

Amma is making dinner. She has already made two curries and making one more.

“Why are taking the trouble? There are already these two. Aren’t you tired after work?”
“I am. But you know that your Achan doesn’t like fish fry. He isn’t eating properly these days. So I thought I’ll make fish curry”

Scene #5

After dinner we are sitting in the front to get some fresh air.

“Did you hear that Professor is building a second house at the back of their new house?” Amma asks.
“He has the money and has got only boys. No need to save or worry about money”
“But who is going to stay there? Both of their sons are in US”
“True. They can sell it after some time. Real estate prices are shooting up these days”

Conversation goes on …

Life is beautiful.

8 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I can identify with what you write..I myself come from near Kodakara.But I used to hate Kodakara Buses, these used to be only few of them and used to be less crowded..

I was studying at Irinjalakuda and they never used to stop and take us. Coming from Kodakara they would not stop saying its too crowded and the ones going to Kodakara wont stop saying they dont want to take people travelling on the Chalakudy route.

So either way those bus conductors were rude..Ofcourse it didnt help that we had student concession and was paying 15 paisa for the trip.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I can identify with what you write..I myself come from near Kodakara.But I used to hate Kodakara Buses, these used to be only few of them and used to be less crowded..

I was studying at Irinjalakuda and they never used to stop and take us. Coming from Kodakara they would not stop saying its too crowded and the ones going to Kodakara wont stop saying they dont want to take people travelling on the Chalakudy route.

So either way those bus conductors were rude..Ofcourse it didnt help that we had student concession and was paying 15 paisa for the trip.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Thanu said...

My parents are almost he same... that is no limit to the amount they argue and also no limit for the love they have. Dad would make coffee if he gets home after work, before mom does. I alwaz tell them that I hope my husband loves me as much as dad loves mom even after 30 years of marriage. Mom responds to that saying you love him as much as I love dad and your husband will definitely love you as much as dad loves me.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

take a look around. you will be amazed how many of us dont realise that. aint it blissful to be happy? >:D<

1:21 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

harmony even in chaos eh??

3:52 PM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@ annam
vene now i dread those buses and those conductors. thankfully ialways travelled to chalakudy in our very od KSRTC. they didn't giv it a damn about who got in and who got down ;)

@thanu
i too wish i get a person with whom i can fight in the kitchen and still eat together.

@trance
yup. it is always blissful to be happy. but the calm after the storm is even more blissful ;)

@sarah
just as always ;)

10:13 PM  
Blogger pophabhi said...

These are the good, nice days. Stay home as long as possible. Dont miss it. Nothing is worth it.

4:47 AM  
Blogger srijithunni said...

yeah, like this is typical, I guess..! atleast in the villages, but believe me, in cities, the fights can be more serious and louder and often if my sister and I don`t intervene, it never really stops..

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home