Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Fighting Davy Jones

Faster than a speedin bullet!
More powerful than a locomotive!
Able to leap over tall buildings in a single bound!
Look!! Up in the Sky!!
Its a Bird!Its a Plane!
No.. Its Su-perman!!

Everytime I read/hear/see anything on SuperMan, SpiderMan, BatMan and even Krish, I wonder why there is no movie called "Wonder Woman"? (If there is some movie by that name, please pardon me for my poor knowledge of Movies).

The idea of doing wonder-acts, has always been fascinating for me. How thrilling it will be if I can jump over the tall buildings and kick off the BadMen of this world. What a pride it will be if the BadMen and their kowtowing army are to quiver at the mention of my name. I will stick to the all-black-and-shiny dress code. Black is classy and elegant. I think I would even prefer a stylish mask, 'cos as somebody said "obscurity sometimes rhymes with security".

Not being a movie freak, my association with the occult powers can not go beyond the faint recollection of the Rajnikanth Movies I have watched at an innocent age. I think those movies sowed the seeds on my vulnurable mind.

Though in real life we hardly come across people who can even be remotely associated with such gimmicks or powers (as you choose), I am sure that we all have seen traces of that talent in someone or the other, atleast during our childhood days.

In all my life I have known only one such lady. She is the only one who showed me the vanishing act back at home. She used to be seen near my house and in a split second she would get vanished along with a couple of crockery, bucket and some clothes drying outside. Since Achan is a staunch follower of Ahimsa and a global peace seeker, Amma used to get forced to give up her ideas of raiding that lady's house to claim back her things.

I have never seen her flying over the tall coconut trees. And till the time I had known her no one in Kodakara had seen a pistol. So I assume, atleast till then, she hadn't faced any bullets; which leaves me in a postion of not being able to answer questions such as "Did the bullets hit her eye and got crunched?" and "Did the bullet hit her head and bounced back?". Yet she was the first and the last soul who could give me any real life taste of such admirable acts.

It was during the long vacation after my 10th standard that brother first introduced me to my all time Hero - JetLee. I don't recollect the number/names/stories of the JetLee movies I have watched. For that matter, I have hardly understood any of those stories. Sadly, these days I don't often get to watch him. But I still remember his long pleated hair and the handsome face. Not to mention the enchanting martial arts tricks. I guess he was my first ever serious crush. All I remember is the name of just one of his movies - The Hero - though I have watched many.

Whoever has happened to stay with me has always found me watching those martial-arts/woder-acts/occult-powers movie in awe. Even now, I hardly understand the story. I am not even bothered about it. All that catches my fascination is the way they fight in the air, the quick moves and the incredibly adventurous surroundings.

Last weekend I managed to force Nair to watch The Pirates of The Carribean with me. I have watched the first part almost two years back and since then, I am so much lured towards being a pirate.

Despite all the scientific advances that has happened, what a dull and withered era are we living in. How thrilling it would have been for all those pirates to rule over the sea and hunt for secret treasures. It is not the never exhausting treasures that I long for. It is the excitement and the challenge of the treasure hunt.

Everthing said and done, I am still a woman at heart. I don't want to hurt/kill innocent people for the fun of it. I swear I will follow the foot steps of the great Robin Hood. But I would sure want to fight other evil pirates wandering on the sea. Who knows, I may find the Flying Dutchman and conquer Davy Jones to free all the captured souls from their myseries.

Sigh ... I think I am day dreaming

Notes: Thanks to Pirates of the Carribean for adding to my fascination thru Flying Dutchman and Davy Jones

31 Comments:

Blogger Gurdeepak said...

In the lighter vein, Nirupa Roy acted as 'Superman' and yes Super'man' in a movie in 1960. Trace it here http://in.news.yahoo.com/060714/211/65w90.html
Serach for Nirupa Roy in the interview.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Axiomate said...

"Despite all the scientific advances that has happened, what a dull and withered era are we living in."
- How true...we just got the once in a blue moon movies that add that thrill.I think there is a movie named 'wonder woman',not sure though.There is 'catwoman' but that doesnt come under the superheroes/superheroines category..

3:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow.. I get a mention...
BTW:u aint' seen nothin yet... that was about my super powers...
may be u have a small hint about it after reading my "Tagged Again" post, a while ago....

so... y did u miss out on X-Men... Wonder woman...

Actually there is a cat-woman where Halley Berry was pathetic and a bat-woman, where Alicia Silverstone was more than a competetion for Halley! and eventually won...

4:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well I am all intrigued by & interested in the "Innocent Age" Statement....

Innocent Age? Naah...

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was also wondering why there r no super-woman kind of movies. maybe this world just cant see a woman as a super-woman.
or maybe, power is to man & fragility is to woman. not a divine thought though.

nice thoughts, nice narration & a gr8 blog!

5:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All other romantic heros, Spiderman, Batman, Dare Devil, Van Helsing, super man ,krish and Parle-G shakthiman seems to have a - lost love - tale.

What about you ? will u have a similar story when u start wearing those shiny black robes ?

ok, bad joke. ;-)

5:09 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

there indeed exists a comic book character called 'wonder woman', who is portraied to be as powerful as superman. also, there is a tv series on wonder woman. wonder woman's costume is in red and blue, with some resemblence to the american flag :)

haha.. jet li is a superhuman. but i like jakie chan more.

dead man's chest was cool. johnny depp was great.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://smilebringer.livejournal.com/34735.html


Whenever I hear about a super hero these days, this pic is the first thing that comes into my mind .. have a look.

5:17 AM  
Blogger srijithunni said...

There is, actually a character called Wonder Woman. Originally, it was a tele-series, but later one or two movies were also made..

Nice Post.. we all need or desire some element of fantasy in our lives dont we..?

With Best Regards,
Srijith unni

5:18 AM  
Blogger Reshmi said...

that was the yukkiest movie i've ever seen...all those creepy, slimy, disgusting creatures...do u know that half the time, i kept my eyes shut...i will never forgive u for making me see that movie..;)

6:11 AM  
Blogger Padakkam said...

well... ive seen a movie called wonder woman.. but thats more of the shady types and it had nothin to do with faster higher n stronger anyways!!

;o)

6:49 AM  
Blogger Arun said...

hahaha...u got to c cartoon network, u wil come across ur WonderWoman....btw tht was my Fav channel, until it changed into a desi one.
Hey, good to know u also want to be in the seas...Even though i have seen a lot of He, Super, Spider, Bat Mans...I wanted to sail around like the legendary SindBad.
How abt an alliance?wat say :-)

~Cheers

PS:U never heard abt Dyanora???

6:51 AM  
Blogger milieu said...

There is a new movie 'My super Ex-girlfriend' which is about the travails of a guy having a superwoman for ex.
Capn Jack Sparrow is the alltime favorite 'super'hero for me.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

havent u heard of catwoman? electra? i am pretty sure they had a wonder woman movie too. they had a TV series, at least.

6:08 AM  
Blogger ARK said...

i happened to watch some bruce lee movies during the vacation and grew a strong desire to learn kung-fu. but I follow your father in being a proponent of Ahimsa and so, it would be rendered useless. what you say is true, we live today under a false sense of security and is thus deprived of many thrills and adventures in life. Surely, Dew Drops FOR Wonder-woman!!!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superheroes rule... especially Superman!!

Btw, if I am not wrong, Superman and WonderWoman were an item for a while. :-)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan said...

Haha...I loved superheroes too lol..but only when I was a kid..Nowadays I downright hate such films..I didn't even bother to look at the promos for 'Krish'.

Anyways I guess such films primararily appeal to kids and a few adults who continue to like them..but a good superhero in real life could do the world a whole lot of good:-)

And hey pirates to exist lol..even today:-)

11:30 AM  
Blogger Abhay said...

"SpiderWoman" and "Firestar" have been real big hits from the Marvel comics franchise. "Catwoman" may or amy not be called a superheroine, depends on perspective.

had a nice laugh reading abt the "stealter-servant", have seen species of similar variety back in my innocent age as well....

@richa
totally disagree on looking at this froma gender-bias perspective, after all , it's the movie-world, lets leave it out of this mess.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Vj said...

I wonder why do we require superman,spiderman,he-man,batman or our shaktiman for that matter.
and I wonder why do we require those monsters,godzillas,bugs,dinosaurs.

I fail to understand why people go to watch them ,it is becuase of special effects ,graphics,animation or the actual story .

I watched Pirates(dead man chest),not because i was fasicanted by it but more becuase i wanted to know what the brouhaha was all about and I couldn't understand why they showed sea as a monster with a million and half tentacles ,In indian mythology It is god,I guess.

so I guess either Iam old fashioned or the world has changed so rapidly .

But I understand there is a huge audience for this kind of cinema too, i learnt the pirates is raking big moolah worldoverand raced up to become the fastest movie to reach 300$m dollars.

So I don't know we might be missing superwoman as of now,but it wouln't be long before they dish out multiple female variants of those powerful male avatars.

well waiting n watching

4:44 PM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@vj
had I been a pirate, i wud hav shot u ;)

10:21 PM  
Blogger b v n said...

first comment here i believe.i do relate to a lot of your previous posts,its like now i dont have to write much :-)

pirates was a welcome relief in these boring summer days,as you said a whole new world of characters and myths and keira knightley.its true times are dull,but thats mainly be due to scientific advances.we escaped a storm last week as they correctly predicted the path,see there it wud have been fun otherwise.missed it.and thanks for the kind words

11:44 PM  
Blogger mathew said...

make me remind of a dailogue from a sreenivasn movie..."Enthirru nadakaathe manooharam aaya swapnam" ;)


Despite all the scientific advances that has happened, what a dull and withered era are we living in....

very true!!..

1:41 AM  
Blogger pophabhi said...

That disappearing act is very common in Bangalore now. Sudden disapperances of bikes, mobiles etc are parts of daily magics.

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you write as well as you are beautiful.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Captain Jack Sparrow? Definitely he should have caused some fascination. And by your dress code...you would be CatWoman!!

Nitin

12:36 AM  
Blogger suraj sharma said...

har! davy jones aye? that two-bit, no good, scum of the high seas? errr..har, see to it that this dew drops isn't rescued by him, har!

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.. now you are talking more in a language which i can relate to.

FYI - There is a wonder woman. She's an amazonian princess, who can fly, and has a lasso which compels anyone caught in the lasso to say only the truth. She's also part of the JLA team along with Superman, Batman, Grren Lantern, Aquaman, etc etc. In the latter series of JLA, Batman is very concerned coz Wonderwoman is pregnant with Supermans kid. The concern is for "what could be the most powerful child born on earth by their union" :)

As far as ur all-black-suit with a mask, There are already two contenders - Catwoman & Batgirl !!

Pirates of the Carribean - Wow..I'm waiting to get my tickets for the show.

8:49 PM  
Blogger jac said...

Don't you know that day dreaming is part of humanity and God given gift.

Now I am imagining about a woman from Kodakara as an adventuress cat woman.
:))

7:16 PM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@suraj
somebody throw him off the roof, plsssssss

@sanju
here I am, touching ur feet in awe ;)

10:14 PM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

its all very romantic in a way. i watched crouching tiger hidden dragon and was completely bowled over.

1:01 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

When did u post this i just didnt notice...
I very very well know u girl who had a really serious crush with ethiralikku oru porali Dinkan...at an innocent age(borrowing ur usage..)
So anyway..cant help quoting mathew...
Enthoru nadakkata manohara swapnam..

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home