Monday, June 19, 2006

When Harry met Sarry

Before your wild imagination takes you to the wilder South African forests let me clarify that I haven’t tattooed his name on my wrist yet. Neither has he cut his finger to put the sindoor on my head. I will keep you informed the moment we decide to elope singing pyar-kiya-tho-darna-kya… So till then you can pass time thinking of Rakhi Sawant & Mika Singh

Sometimes we have no explanation as to why we meet some one. Somebody just walks in and be a part of our life. So much a part of our day to day existence that a life without he/she becomes so painfully unimaginable. All my life I had been really lucky. And when it comes to people, I was luckier.

This guy walked into my life one fine day with his ever enchanting smile and became a big part of my small and messy world. We are not bound by any social or genetical obligation. Still we go on. If you still don’t know who am I referring to, you can check this or this.

"He is weirder than you told me”
That is what exactly what I told my friend when she introduced her school time pal to me for the first time. Well, there was more for me to find out.

Every one else kept wondering how could I laugh on all of his PJs and I was wondering how could he remember all of those PJs since time immemorial. He not only could recollect those but also narrate it so lively that I could laugh even if I was in a funeral and till my tummy ached threatening to throw up all the chicken I just ate.

We could talk about anything under the sun and were happy about each other that we got someone who actually cared to listen. Nothing was taboo. While on the roller coaster ride he would try to give me tips as to how I could avoid my fear, which I would understand only after the guy who operates stopped the whole thing fearing I would jump out of it and somebody poured the entire bottle of Pepsi down my throat.

In the mornings it always used to be a whirlpool experience before getting into the office. He would promise to pick me from my place and drop me before he went to work. He would stop in front of the roadside shop to force me to have breakfast. I would yell and abuse him with my witchiest of tongues that I would get late for the office. He would still remain calm and try to force me have food. He would plead and cajole me into eating something, promising lots of rewards in return, waking up the stubborn five year old in me. I would oblige by pushing the food down my throat. And he would fly with a scared-to-death me with eyes closed sitting behind.

He would call me and keep talking to me till the time he realises that I fell asleep long time back. I would hang up on his face on a rage of fury and he never hesitated to call back. I never remembered or noticed that he needed something but he noticed it was winter and left his jacket at my place.

We have tried cooking together but couldn't agree upon the amount of chilly to be put. We fought in the kitchen with the knives, still had food with so much relish that everyone else thought we were just back from Somalia.

He would gift me anything and everything and I, being my same careless wicked self would lose it somewhere. After that it would be Rose's responsibility to go on a frantic searching mode just to confirm that "it is lost". He would yell at me for not being careful but buy me the same thing again hoping I would change one day.

His perseverance is really admirable. Even after knowing me for more than a year, he still believes that I would change one day. Something like one day I would get up and call him to tell, look I have decided to keep things in order, apply for my ECNR, have food at proper times, be careful while walking on the road and …. and … and …

When I was moving out of Hyderabad, I knew he is going to be the one person whose absence will always stand in the way of my liking towards Mumbai.

Last weekend, he was here. Though he was bit lost with his sweetheart (;)), he managed to rejuvenate our warm friendship. We had a real blast. So much fun for two days.

I didn't know where to take him. I was equally scared to introduce him to the Mumbai trains. But I had no choice.

We were at the railway station. Anyone who has even heard of M of Mumbai must have invariable heard of its railway stations and trains. He had heard about it too. But he wasn't sure if I was just exaggerating. (Can’t blame him for suspecting that).

"I want to try the train"
"Sure? You may not find it easy"
"Phew"

OK. I was scared that it would be too crowded and messy for him. So we took first class ticket. The station was not as crowded as I thought. Still there was the typical hustle bustle. We stepped into the station and I was walking fast towards the platform dragging him along.

"You are careless while walking"
"Me, why?" I didn't get it.
"Don’t you see these perverts coming and hitting you purposely?"
"What? Common, everyone is in a hurry; you are getting worried for no reason"
"You don't know about men"

He literally managed to get me to the platform with nothing but the hot & humid air touching me. I can't describe the look he gave to the fellows who dared to pass anywhere near me. He would stand as a wall between the crowd and me. We had to get down at Dadar to change to central line. He got a view of the crowd from the top of the over bridge. He couldn't se anything other than people's heads.

"What an uncivilized crowd?"
"What crowd?!!!!!!!!!"
"I don't understand why they can’t maintain any decorum"
“!!!!!!!!!”

The train came and left in less than half a minute. He kinda got to know the reason behind the barbaric mumbaikars. On our train journey back, he looked at me with the innocence and regret of a 10 year old.
"I didn't know that these trains are such a mess. Sorry dear"

He was shaken and I could see the concern in his eyes. Then came a list of do's and don't do's to be followed while entering/traveling/exiting the trains; a long list indeed. I lost count after the 102 tip.

If you want to know a first-hand narration of the weekend, you should check here.

Man, we all had a great weekend. All of us – me, Rose and Nair, managed to keep our lazy ass selves in the closet for some time and managed to catch up with you. Come down more often. We are all waiting for you.

Now you know why I call him my best friend. They say friends are god sent angels. I don't know about everyone, but he truly is.

37 Comments:

Blogger Heart of Gold !! said...

Nice FRIEND :)
Cruel You!!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@hog
*scaring you with my long nails and witchy look*

Cruelty is what I specialize in ;)

5:06 AM  
Blogger suraj sharma said...

nice to see a kafka fan after a long time. you rock!

5:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Friends are great treasure that we collect in life...
Always gr8 to have friends...
But its just so much betta when, they become a bit more special! or most special? ;-) *A very naughty smile on face*

Whose Harry and Whose Sarry?
or is that a new movie u guyz plan to make?

5:54 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

jhan ethu eppozha vayichu therukka...
bhoothataan kota ennu kettitundoo...
ethinu veliyil erangan pattuvanengil..
beedhapetta oru comment jhan kazhcha vaykkam...
anyway...let me go back 2 harry m8 sally

5:58 AM  
Blogger ARK said...

great. nice of u to share ur happiness. let it stay...

6:01 AM  
Blogger ARK said...

hmm... The Philosopher! alright...

6:12 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

i never knew..u r this bad...
yur really really very bad girl....
how well you are impregnating lies..in bwn the wrds...
when will you draw a straight line
bwn friendship and love...!!!!!
I m confused...
anyway nice piece of writing

6:27 AM  
Blogger esvee said...

:-)

Have commented on HOG's

Call on me for any SA addresses :-))

Good luck

Esvee

7:54 AM  
Blogger milieu said...

A friend not just in need is a real friend indeed. Nice one

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) , can't help but smile for you

9:06 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

All I can say is such friends are rare these days! He is an angel sent from up above by what I've read. (if angels are as caring as he is it must be said ;-) )

9:53 PM  
Blogger Dhanush | ധനുഷ് said...

He He .. Mumbai is an experience gal.. I was there for 4 months and the train rides were the most fiery thing..
Once me an my friends where going to Bandra from Andheri and it was huge rush on a weekday :) .. After getting in my friend said to me .. "Pokkattadikkan aarenkilum vannal. . de chetta purse ente left pocketil undu ennu parayane nammuku patto" .. There was that much rush that we couldnt move our muscles... He He ..
But Trains are one thing one must not miss in Bombay. Aa paavathinte kondu athum saadhippichallo ;)

10:04 PM  
Blogger the sunflower said...

a nice post - am becoming a fan of your writing style aleady!

found traces of something other than friendship in the piece *wondering if it was done on purpose to rank this post high on the intrigu-o-meter or (once the scepticism is dead ) whether there really is more than you are revealing*

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, it really was a blast, though very short...i am glad I dragged myself from my cozy bed and came to meet you guys!take care!-nair

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI...

D best thing I like in ur blog is this poem...

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens ....
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens ....
Brown paper packages tied up with strings ....
These are a few of my favorite things ....
When the dog bites ....
When the bee stings ....
When I'm feeling sad ....
I simply remember my favorite things ....
And then I don't feel so bad


There is nice melody in those lines. Nice to land here. Cheers...

Roy

11:35 PM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@suraj
thanks..... did u intend to comment in my other blog?

sad that I don't find kafka selling on the roadsides ;) i don't find kafka in the book shops here, either. badly wann read all his works. he is one hell of a writer man. just don't understand how can one write so captivating stories out of bizzare subjects, that too full of mundane things. welcome here.

@koutilya
no comments *wink*

@arjun
thanks. i too wish that it stays forever, though i have all ingredints of trouble maker

@neermathalam
i am worse than the worst, u r yet to find out dear. ask the poor souls who know me and suffer just by virtue of knowing me

@esvee
mmmmmmmmmmm. no comments again *with the naughtiest of my smiles*

@sreekumar
true. haapy to have him in my "small and messy" world. poeple do make a difference even if they are as much a barbarian as i am

@reverend
yup. they r priceless. my only pblm is that i take everything for granted.

@sanju
and don't u c that i am smiling too

@dr o2
true. he is an angel. the only pblm is that he is in the wrong company ... LoL

@dhanush
yup. I managed to get him travel by trains. and enjoyed it too

@sunflower
let ur intrigu-o-meter soar sk high ;)

@nair
i am glad that u blessed us with a short visit . love u sweety

@roy
that is from the movie "the sound of music". i hardly hear or appreciate english songs. but this one had always been one of my favorite songs.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

Hmmm.... So finally.. the dew speaks up.. :)

The one thing abt Arun dat makes him different from all the other guys we know is the immense amount of love he has for people around him.. He luvs them so much that he jst doesnt know wat to do with al those feelings.. And of crs his ability to laugh (that infectious, rib-tickling laugh) at all his ridiculous jokes.. :D

Dewy.. I hope he'll always be a part of ur life.. and always be beside u in this roller-caoster ride.. :)

ANd yes.. He is a lot more weird than i told u.. ;)

..Me

1:39 AM  
Blogger esvee said...

Oh by the way I am now reading "Metamorphosis" by Kafka :-)

2:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap, these romantic stories make me all senti.
and trust me, even though i dont know u, i feel happy, very, for u, and johnai (arun?). (am i a comma freak or what

mere haath mein tera haath ho saari jannatein mere saath ho

what more can one ask for?

3:07 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@babes
can't agree more except for the las line. i still stringly beleive he doesn't beat me in that ;)

@esvee
u better b careful while commenting on the book. i am a crazy kafka fan.

@country
wah ustad wah !!!!!

4:06 AM  
Blogger starry said...

It is so nice to have a best friend like that, no matter what they will always stand by you. interesting post.He wants to protect you...sweet.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Some how I was thinking of my 6 months in Mumbai... I promised myself.. I will never ever go there..Mumbai was a nightmare..and much as I love India and its diverstity and urban development or wht ever.. i am much happy in a small village in kerala..

5:05 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

Very lucky few get friends like the one you had just mentioned.

5:10 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@aqua
ask me how i manange in those trains

@starry
thanks

@immi
but they say if u r here for sme time, u'll fall in luv wid the place. lemme c

@arz00n
i know. ;)

5:16 AM  
Blogger suraj sharma said...

um.. yeah i intended to comment in the other blog, but this is is just as good as well, you're lucky to have such good friends. I don't think i need to tell you to cherish these moments as much as you can..

5:30 AM  
Blogger Prash said...

Friends are part and parcel of one's life...I can't survive without friends. I NEED them. Nice to know that you have a wonderful friend.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Pradeep Nair said...

Your friendship has grown because you both have (may be subconsciously or unconsciously) nurtured it. That's the secret of any relationship (not just friendship, by the way).

11:37 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@suraj
;)

@prash
can't agree more

@aqua
i knew u wud agree

@pradeep
how true. thanks for stopping by

11:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yay...
I am tagging ya...
check out the comments @ delta...

11:44 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Real GOOD friends are so terribly rare nowadays! To find someone you can REALLY trust ... well IF - it is a gift from heaven! I'm so happy you did!!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Axiomate said...

Count your blessings for having such great friends...
for some reason I put up one more post today on our bollywood singing sensation..just kiddin'.
take care

12:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

dew drops....
I never felt so proud or happy when I won a Gold medal!

Jobless @ work... Thats like the best... compliment or title, some one has give to me! wow... truly honored....

thangew thangew.......

2:46 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@koutilya
working on it

@munich
yes. and than you

@axiomate
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa......... noooooooooooooo. not him again

@koutilya
welgum welgum

3:39 AM  
Blogger Indiafreak said...

"Don’t you see these perverts coming and hitting you purposely?"
"What? Common, everyone is in a hurry; you are getting worried for no reason"
"You don't know about men"

Why are Indian guys so paranoiac abt men? I have the same problem with my bf.

As a foreigner, I have a hard time accepting it. Wondering if it is pure paranoia or if it is a form of possessiveness and jealousy...

Anyway, liked the way you write. Light and entertaining...

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:27 AM  
Blogger Padakkam said...

AWESOME post.. i dunno y.. i kept on reading it again n again.. u seem to enjoy the small pleasures of life.. and it seemed so innocent.. i dunno wat to say.. touched me somewhere deep inside.. good job!

and yeah ive added ur blog in my favs list :)

7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home