Sunday, July 30, 2006

Not all treasure is silver and gold ~ says Capt.Jack Sparrow

"We have been friends together
In sunshine and in shade."
~Caroline Sheridan Norton

I was introduced to this thinner than me boy-cut-still-cute female on a sunny Hyderabadi summer day. She was chatting to a scaringly chipkoo guy, who later became so damn famous that we all learnt the vanishing act at the very mention of the first alphabet of his name. She gave me condescending look. Forced a customary Hi from her mouth and was back to her listening mode. (He hardly used to give others a chance. Bliss in one way, you can dream of a holiday with your fantasy lover and he would go on blabbering about that girl in blue skirt).

New to Hyderabad with my kuntry mallu ways, funny Hindi and funnier English, I was looking for a fellow mallu. I ended up meeting this enigma called Nair. Farthest from that stereotyped girl, she scared me enough that it took me nearly a year to learn to talk to her without shivering on my knees. The next day onwards I have always found her either alone or with some Rashtra Bhasha speaking company. I never dared venturing into her territory.

Everyday, whenever she made her royal entry into the class, I used to stare at her with my eyes wide open trying to decipher what material on earth was she made of. She had this funny looking spectacle, that I am sure is a product of an artist crazier than she herself, with a Mickey mouse’s picture on its frame!!! (Later she disclosed that tightly kept secret – she used to buy all her stuffs from the kids section. She had to reveal it when someone wanted to buy her a birthday gift).

As time flew, we happened to stay in the same flat and scariest of all, in the same room!!!! I was very cautious in my approach. I used to make sure that I didn’t get into her way.

Two years have passed since those days and now she knows me in and out, upside down, knows the best in me and the worst in me. She has seen me laughing my guts out and seen me crying like mad. One of those rare people who have seen me cry. Even my parents haven’t seen me crying after my toddler days.

I simply admire her. The most talented and smart girl I have come across. But don’t ask her to dance. I know she just can’t. Once she managed to make some weird (and weak) gyrations supposed to be taken for a dance. We all pardoned her for that clowny act 'cos we simply adore her.

But you want her to sing? Due to some early childhood set backs she stopped singing. But still hums sometimes. I must agree, she can.

Barring those Pulitzer/Booker/Nobel laureates she is the best when it is comes to the-way-with-words. Poetry in particular. I still have a sheet from our college magazine which I keep with my precious possessions in which one of her poems are printed. Poetry had always been greek and latin to me. She is one of those rare breeds of poets who write in English, and write it well without confusing me much by using the oxford dictionay in its entirety.

We used to go for long walks round the college almost all night, rather midnight. Then we come back and sit in front of college just staring up to the sky, till the mosquitos literrally drive us off that place. There used to be this dog whom I strongly suspect was a mad admirer of her in his last birth, who might have taken his life when she haughtily rejected his marriage proposal. Though she claims to be a "pet-lover" , this pet was a bit too much to be loved in the normal sense. She knows and I know what happened. Rest is left to your imagination.

One day she would call me and scold me for wasting money and give a long long lecture on the need to start saving at the earliest age and the next day call me and say that she spent like mad that day. She has got the most innocent and cutest smile ever; that is deceptive, ofcourse.

Anytime I make a Himalayan blunder (considering that there were quite a few), she is the only one who tells me it is just human to err. But once I am emotionally settled down she would open her bag of be-a-good-girl advices followed by this dialogue - "I know I make the same mistakes, but when I advice you I should tell you the right thing". Loads of hugs and kissess for that, sweety.

Whenever it rains, she would call me twice, without fail: once to warn me to leave office early and then to make sure that I am home.

If you're alone, I'll be your shadow.
If you want to cry, I'll be your shoulder.
If you want a hug, I'll be your pillow.
If you need to be happy, I'll be your smile.
But anytime you need a friend, I'll just be me.
~Author Unknown

Tomorrow, this lovely lady is getting older by one year. I am posting it today itself so that I am the first to wish her as I know I will have a tough competetion if I am to wait for the clock to tick 12. A couple of wishes for her year ahead:
May you get over with your dread of Mumbai local trains
May you stop doing the "same" blunder the fifth time
May you stop driving me mad with your choice of clothes
May your give your mom & dad a little less reason to worry about
May your "bhuddi" boss give you good ratings
May you become a little less of a confused soul thereby giving us all peace of mind
May your phone go dead when you feel like calling me at odd times and scaring me with all your crazy views on life
May you go onsite (oops....then whom will I call and whine about my self-created problems? I take it back)
May working in an IT giant boost up your knowledge on computers a bit more and may you not need to give the user name and password of your blog to me
May all your dreams come true !!!!!

There are times I wonder what life has in store for us. Personally & professionally, we both happen to go thru similar ups & downs one after the other. Once I painfully finish consoling her, it would be her turn to be the only solace to me. We are still going through the rigamarole of we-don't-know-what-and-whys.

Let me be frank, if God ever gives me a choice, I would never want to have a kid like her, though I will insist I want her as my dearest friend all my life. Sad that it took us two decades to meet each other. I am amused at her ability to find the most complex answers to the simplest of questions. Believe me, she is her best at it.

Our dear lady-with-a-singing-heart was a marketing wonder back in college. I get to hear that in her career also she is making small time wins. I am sure you are going to make it real big one day. One day I may find your photo in the newspaper the vegetable seller wraps my potatoes in. I am sure I am gonna yell at him: Hey, thats nair, u duffer. How dare you do that with her photo?

I wonder, will you keep the same hairstyle then? Keep that "mute" giggle intact, dear.

Whichever guy is your destiny, what a lucky soul he is !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for taking me "as I am", with all the wierdness and foolishness
Thanks for still telling I am the best
Thanks for making those STD calls and consoling me all night
Thanks for taking me in your flat when I had no place in the big Mumbai outside
Thanks for letting me use your make-up kit when I was forced to drape a sari in college
Thanks for letting me take the credit and making me feel "great" for helping you

Love you sweetie, may our friendship last till our last days on earth.

May we have a computer, internet connections and TIME even after we are married off to two "handsome & millionaire hunks” at the two extremes of the world where we are busy cleaning, washing and bathing our crazy offsprings who come in dozens. Amen..

*still wondering what material on earth is she made of. may be something specially sent from heaven(hell?) or so*

42 Comments:

Blogger Reshmi said...

thaanku sweetie-pie..that was sooooooooo sweet...me got all senti reading it..**sniff..sob..sob..
love u..ummmmmmmaaaaaaa

12:01 AM  
Blogger neermathalam said...

lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng lllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiivvv
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrr
frrrrieeeennnndsssssshhhhhhhip

amazing post....!!!
dewdzzzz reallyy touching and
the same time really funny...

never knew nair is such a big organisation of itz own..and mee.. fool guessed that she wrkd for Mckinsey..

12:26 AM  
Blogger the sunflower said...

this is such a sweet post dew!

how have u been?

12:57 AM  
Blogger jac said...

OMG !
You can't give her anything better Dew !

I can visualise the Goodness in both of you.

Happy birth Day Nair from the other end of the globe from a friend, of your most closest and adoring friend.

1:56 AM  
Blogger mathew said...

happy bday nairkutty!!!

nice and fantabulous tribute to a friend!!!applause!!!

3:50 AM  
Blogger Visala Manaskan said...

കൂടുതല്‍ കൂടുതല്‍ ബെറ്റര്‍ ആകുന്നു.

യോദ്ധാ എന്ന സിനിമയില്‍ ജഗതി, ‘നീ സെന്റ്രല്‍ ജെയിലിലേക്ക് ഒരു വാഗ്ദാനമാണെടാ’ എന്ന് പറഞ്ഞപോലെ, ‘ആംഗലേയ സാഹിത്യത്തിന് നിങ്ങള്‍ ഒരു വാഗ്ദാനം’ ആയി വളരുകയാണ്.

ഗുഡ്. കൊടകരക്കാരന്‍ ആയ കാരണത്താല്‍ ഞാന്‍ കുറച്ച് കൂടുതല്‍ സന്തോഷിക്കുന്നു.

ലാല്‍ സലാം.

ഓഫ് റ്റോപ്പിക്ക്:
ഹൈദരാബാദില്‍ നിന്ന്, മലയാളം ബ്ലോഗില്‍ എഴുതുന്ന ഒരു ബിരിയാണിക്കുട്ടിയുണ്ട്. ആള് പുലിയാ കേട്ടോ!
http://hydbirithudakam.blogspot.com/

3:52 AM  
Blogger Rose said...

That was straight from your heart dear..

Hope your friendship grows with every sunshine and shade..

:)

..Me

4:22 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

Seems every one of us have someone whom we could call the greatest friend in the world :)
Happy Birthday, Nair!!!

4:58 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@nair
so i guess i don't have to spend money on a gift. and ur treat is due ;)

@aqua
thanks

@visala
thanks. that was so encouraging. i am a frequent reader of ur kodakarapuranam. i don't comment 'cos my english comment will stand out. otherwise, i am hooked onto it. thanks again for the visit and the kind words.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

welll a day b4...
happy b'day Nair...

and no question this frndshp will last for eternity...

yeh... dosthi.. hum nahi thodenge...
thodenge dum magar tera saath na choodenge...

hey... let all the mortals live by the example of this frndshp btwn u n nair!

very nice indeed.. very nice....

god bless u both!

BTW: between u folks whose Jay n whose Veeru???????

and most importantly... is there a Basanthi?

well... I am the Gabbar!
and whose the thakkur???

5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got nothing to say here, heading over to b'day baby's blog to wish :)

8:49 PM  
Blogger Arun said...

awee...Ur friend is lucky to have u :-)
Happy Bday to ur frnd as well

~Cheers

9:52 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

hey !

best wishes to her
btw , is she still in Hyd ?

hru dear ?

lemme read ur prev post ...

u know what .. ur post reminds me of the autograph i had written for Arun when we left school .. but i guess her no longer has it ...

many a time , ur post reminded me of what a good friend he is .. i mean he must have told u abt how crazy mad i could get .. and all that

11:32 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

yeah .. i know how difficult it is to get ur stuff back if it is stolen ...
my sis's mobile got stolen recently ... we all knew ( and know ) who did it , but we are unable to do anything coz it'll damage relations .. ....

mahabharata used to be my fav serial ... oh ! i so loved the starting music .. still do

am so glad blogger/blogspot is back .. but , my enthu is gone

11:38 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

just read neermathalam 's comment .. is she working for VG ?

11:40 PM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@deepa
never heard of arun mentioning the autograph ;) so not sure.

i am keepin fine. gr8 to hear from you. btw, she is not wid VG and she is here

11:44 PM  
Blogger Nikhil Narayanan said...

Novel way of gifting a friend on her b'day....

:)

2:38 AM  
Blogger Dreamer said...

DD,
That was so nice of you to give such an beutiful B'Day present to your friend..

Here's wishing your friend a happy B'day and a wonderful life ahead..

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pavam nair ! ;-)

can you convey the following to her ?

------------------------------------
Belated happy birthday!

(I couldn't resist myself as I came to know that you are a very intresting creature ;-)
-----------------------------------

8:58 PM  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

okie :)

shez there ... good .. that means u have ur friend with u :)

2:41 AM  
Blogger Ajith Prasad Balakrishnan said...

Perhaps, one of the best gifts that i've seen being offered to a friend..Awesome post .

3:01 AM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

:-) I have a friend whome I adore but only as a friend! I too imagine that I ain't gonna wish me kids turn into anythin like it!!! ;-)

Happy Bday Nair as well :-)

8:32 PM  
Blogger ARK said...

here is another definition of friendship!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Dhanush | ധനുഷ് said...

wow that was such a beautiful gift ever a person could give to her friend.

Well written..

10:27 AM  
Blogger AJ ! Serendipity !!! said...

my god !!!!
such a big post
some people are just so different... whether good or bad i donnot know. mayb a mixture of both
and then they make u think so much

10:46 AM  
Blogger Adrija said...

hey, have been following all ur postings regularly...but have never commented..so thought y not today...ur writings have always cheered me up...its their simplicity that makes then unique and refreshing.

1:56 PM  
Blogger hope and love said...

a very sweet post..!!
belated happy birthday wishes to ur dearest friend..

8:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmm.. that's friendship...

When a person calls u by a stupid name and never by ur own name.....

When they always get angry, whenever u tell them that u r busy and cant reply...

When they tell u everything about themselves even if its embarrassing...

When they come to c u, whenever they get a chance....

When u argue with each other on stupid things and then end up laughing....

me too blessed with few similar friends from hell (for sure hell not heaven)) feeling of not alone and having someone to talk too gives energy to see bad-day-thru..right!

Cheers, Yuva

PS: truly admire your writing skills...

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice post!

happy budday to your dost!!

satish

10:36 PM  
Blogger Axiomate said...

That was a touching post...got a little sentimental..I am still in station coz i havent got the visa to fly to the gulf yet..so put up a post today

11:07 PM  
Blogger Dr O2 said...

DD, you have missed your blog today!! absent again!! I gotta call yr parents :-)

5:30 AM  
Blogger Sudarshan said...

That is indeed wonderful:-)

Really nice of you to offer such a nice present..touching post..and beautifully written:-)

You write really well..:-) Enjoy your weekend!!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

love the captain jack sparrow quote you use inthe title

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poem by author unknown was best and let me add"

If you ever want a comment, I will be there in moment

For every new post. to comment I will persue you like a Ghost.

Consider me to be your permanant dost.

10:10 PM  
Blogger PNA said...

hey nairkutty happy birthday
and dew
a unique way of treating a friend on her birthday ...kudos! to yo girl!1

Ash

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had one doubt. Why is Nair a phenoMenon and not a phenoNair?

JII

6:58 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@adrija
thanks.

@nabeel
I am Lady Sparrow ;))

@hiren
thanks Ghost.. that was a real booster

12:08 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@ALL
thanks to you all in joining me to wish my wonderful freind on her b'day. thanks a ton, mates ;)))

12:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap, another senti one. :)
u must really like her to write so much about her.
i an trying hard, really hard, not make any corny statements about friendship now.
hope the birthday was fun and the cake was chocolate.

2:03 AM  
Blogger Dew Drops said...

@country
love ur comments dude, just love them

all i want her to write off her b'day gift. v r yet to meet for the b'day. may b this weekend and its gonna b all non-veggie. i just can't stand sweets. yup, true.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Reshmi said...

thanks to everyone for tolerating such a lengthy piece of writing on me..being a true leo, iam flattered :)
special thanks to those sweet people who wished me and made my birthday very special..love u people :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Adithyan said...

Great post and more over great friendship.
Keep both going, I mean the blog and your friendship... :D

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home